During 17th century, mountain chain formed by mountains Povlen, Maljen (with Divcibare plateau) and Suvobor was called Karadag which in literal translation from Turkish means Crna Gora (Black Mountain in English).
Towards the end of 18th century the term Karadag had gradually disappeared.
Legend has it that the highest peak of Maljen-Kraljev sto (in English the name means King’s Table) was named after the Serbian King Dusan the Great who had been staying there during a battle again the Hungarians.
It was thought that Divcibare had not been a permanent settlement over the previous centuries, but only served its purpose to take the cattle out for grazing and to mow the meadows during the summer. The name Divcibare is a given as a memory to a young shepherd girl who once drowned in the River Crna Kamenica.
The first record of Divcibare as a village settlement was found in the Turkish detailed inventory of Smederevo province from 1476. There were 11 households and 6 fortresses.
There is subsequent mention of Divcibare as a village, but it was noted in the Epschelvitz’s map of Serbia from 1718 as a settlement on the mountain called Crna Gora (Black Mountain).
Although Divcibare Plateau is now mostly being used as a place for resting and therapy due to its favourable climate, it did not use to be like this over the previous centuries. It was known for certain that there had been a road in the Roman period connecting the present regions of Valjevo and Uzice. Thick forests of Maljen Mountain had been exploited over the centuries, thus creating pastures used for growing cattle. In the old days Divcibare was covered in coniferous forest with dominant juniper species, but now there are only rare examples left.
Around the time of The First Serbian Uprising, the owner of this whole plateau was a Turk, Deli-aga who sold this land to Prince Milos Obrenovic who turned it into the cattle growing area for the peasants from Valjevo and Uzice regions.
It was Prince Milos Obrenovic who first noticed the benefits of this favorable climate since he had travelled there for cattle growing business. The first time he stayed there was in July 1822.
Somewhere in August 1925 a local man called Nedeljko Savic, who had been in charge of Divcibare for many years, thought of an interesting idea that Divcibare could become an air spa. Soon after, a small settlement was built in the center of today’s village.
On December 27th 1925 The Health Society of Divcibare was established and the first houses for resting were built. Those were typical wooden cottages.
A good word of the first visitors spread quickly so Divcibare soon became a recognized place for peace and resting. During the 1930s the accommodation facilities were improved and expanded, and it was also constantly developing between 1926 and 1941.
Shortly before the Second World War in 1941 there were 1119 beds in Divcibare.
The end of the Second World War left Divcibare in ruins. In 1946 a location was found for the Hotel Maljen, but Divcibare only started functioning as a tourist place in 1947.
Despite the invested efforts during the period between 1946 and 1957, there was a mild increase in the number of accommodation facilities. The importance of Divcibare as a favorable climatic resort was soon noticed by the republic authorities, and therefore it was declared a place of importance for the tourism and the government on 29th March 1949.