Monastery Jovanja is located in the close vicinity of Valjevo (7km) on the road to Pocuta and Bajina Basta. It belongs to the village of Zlataric.
The church of the monastery of Jovanja near Valjevo was probably built at the end of the 15th century of beginning of the 16th century.
The nartex was added at the beginning of the 18th centuru (1706) wenn the entire monastery was renovated thanks to the offorts and endowment of the brothers Vitanovic, Jovan and Jefta.
In the first half of the 18th century there was a theological school in Jovanja monastery. The monastery was burned by the Turks in 1788. At the beginning of the 19th century it had been turned into a parish church.
Početkom devetnaestog veka manastir Jovanja je pretvoren u mirsku crkvu.
The monastery church is a single nave structure with a rectangular base and a dome resting on buttresses supported by pilasters on the northern and southern sides, and semicular vaults on the eastern and western sides. The apse is semicular and vaulted. Two narthexes were added later.
The older frescoes (from the 17th c.) of the church of St. John were renovated several times. The Composition of the Crucifixion of Christ on northern wall can be singled out for its monumental characteristics. The depiction of the Annunciation is located on the eastern arch of the area under the dome and the considerable damaged Baptism of Christ is on the southern wall.